[TheThinkTank] Reliable ... pump for outside of shop

Anibal Davila caffenated at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:31:52 PDT 2020

Weve gone through a few iterations of this. From a commercial
bolted-to-the-pavement artillery piece of a hand pump, to a beater pump
that only comes out on request during busy open hours.

Our solution was to run a hose from our air compressor inside, put braided
metal hose over everything but the last foot (this turned out to be
completely unnecessary). We turn off the compressor every night in case
someone cuts the hose to steal the chuck, that way we only lose a tank of
air and the compressor does not run all night.

We just finished refurbishing it for our covid closure. While the air chuck
still craps out regularly, it's much cheaper and easier to replace a little
$10 part than to replace a hand pump. Also, while no one has yet cut the
line, we found that with a hose repair kit, you can just shorten the line
each time the outdoor end gets damaged.

If you look closely at the photo (sorry arnaud), you can see the braided
armor hose. The hose clamps from the repair kit at the end of the red hose,
and a bent spoke clip so that it can be hung back up (no one has ever hung
it back up). A big part of the damage has been due to everything hanging at
snow and salt spray ground level.