[TheThinkTank] Rubbing alcohol substitutes, spraying grips with bleach, etc.

Kevin Dwyer kevidwyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:18:06 PDT 2020

Thanks, I agree it attacks some plastics, though it does come in a plastic
bottle which seems to hold it well without deterioration for more than a
year. Citrus should always be rinsed off with water and diluted for economy
and protection of plastics (up to 10:1). Simple Green attacks metal and
causes hydrogen embrittlement which can cause cracking and catastrophic
failure. This is a known problem for chains soaked in Simple Green. I have
also seen SG destroy bearing retainers. I've never had a problem in 12
years using citrus dilution on all kinds of bike parts and accessories,
followed by rinsing with water.

Kevin Dwyer
801.647.0797