[TheThinkTank] Rubbing alcohol substitutes, spraying grips with bleach, etc.

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Fri Mar 20 22:41:39 PDT 2020

Sanitizing:

Watered-down bleach won't work well on surfaces that have a lot of oils
on them when the concentrate of bleach is low; therefore you might try a
higher concentrate for grips and tape, and a lower concentrate for
saddles.

Acetone, commonly available as nail polish remover, or as "paint
thinner" in hardware stores, also has antiviral properties:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0166354205000707
https://www.microbiologyresearch.org/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/0022-1317-3-2-271

Be aware that not all paint thinner is made from acetone, hence the
quotes.

Denatured alcohol available at the hardware store should also have
antiviral and antibacterial properties.

All of these chemicals are highly irritating to the skin and
subsequently anyone using them should wear nitrile gloves with at least
5 mil thickness, as latex or vinyl are not all that resistant chemically
and thinner mils (3 and below are more common) might break down more
quickly. If using denatured hardware store alcohol, be especially
careful as it often (but not always) contains methyl alcohol (as opposed
to isopropyl or benzyl alcohol) which is poisonous and can enter the
body via contact with skin.

As for minimizing contact on shared surfaces, at RIBs we are not
allowing any "unclean" hands or gloves to come in contact with any item
in the shop. If someone so much as scratches their head, with either
their bare hand or their glove, they have to go wash their hands or
gloves, or change gloves, before touching anything in the shop again.
Ideally, they do not even touch their own clothing and afterward touch
an item in the shop.

These extreme measures are considered necessary because it is literally
impossible to sanitize several hundred filthy tools that are battered,
gouged, and decades-old, so instead we are preventing them from getting
infected in the first place. Additionally, it is assumed that there
might very well be pathogens on the tools anyway, so people wash again
after leaving. The idea is don't touch your body at all after washing
your hands while in the shop space.

~cyclista Nicholas