[TheThinkTank] Rubbing alcohol substitutes, spraying grips with bleach, etc.

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Sat Mar 21 00:11:19 PDT 2020

Regarding "massive decontamination":

Every ecosystem, terrestrial or likely otherwise, is teeming with
pathogens. The creatures that live in an ecosystem don't eradicate these
pathogens, they develop immunity to them and afterward live alongside
them. It's important to realize that this virus, like most pathogens,
will never be eradicated. This is why one of the main concerns when
planning for any kind of extraterrestrial contact is lack of immunity on
the part of one of the parties involved to pathogens carried from the
other's ecosystem. We even need to worry about this when creating
contact between widely separated species here on earth.

What we are aiming for with COVID-19 is not eradication but immunity.
Decontamination is only urgent currently due to the highly contagious
nature of this particular virus; without slowing the progress of
exposure, sheer numbers of infections will cause the collapse of our
medical system, and subsequently more deaths than would occur if the
medical system was able to handle each case with full capability.

We're not trying to avoid getting infected in the ultimate sense, this
isn't the zombie apocalypse. we're trying to save lives, yes, but by
saving the medical system. Not by eradicating the virus.

~cyclista Nicholas