[TheThinkTank] the virus and community bike shops, essential services thought

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Sun Mar 22 22:02:58 PDT 2020

Your wish is granted!

Here's some more pics.

I added a few more things since these pictures were taken: a crescent
wrench, slip-joint pliers, and an oil bottle.

The slip-joints were especially challenging, nowhere to pass a cable
through, so I heated up one of the handle tips to glowing hot with a
propane blowtorch and curled it over into a tiny loop. The cable passed
securely through nicely after that. One of the handles is shorter than
the other and a litle odd, but it seems a fine tradeoff.

Finding an oil bottle that could be secured was also a challenge.

I wanted to acquire one of those new style baby bottles that have an
elongated hole in the center so that baby hands can grab the bottle
easier, but I couldn't find one. What I could find was a small, empty
White Lightning jug, which had a handle good for passing a cable
through, and then added a spray nozzle, which was the only kind of
dispenser I could find that would fit the mouth. That was the best I
could do for oil. I hope people don't spray the oil everywhere and/or
waste it.

Also note the method of securing the tri-socket; I'm pretty proud of
that one. It's wonderfully simple and easy. I'd regarded including one
as an impossibility until I groggily figured that one out in the 11th
bleary hour of assembly.

~cyclista Nicholas