[TheThinkTank] Motorized Bicycle Diversion

eric clough ericclough3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:27:36 PDT 2020

Hello Think Tank.  First, I want to say thanks for all the great threads I
have read on this list serv.  I rarely post anything but I do read most
posts and I have gained lots of great perspectives, including the recent
impacts of covid, from you all.  Now, on to what might be a welcome
diversion from the whole virus topic.

We have a very small community bike shop on the south coast of Oregon and
we are constantly approached about motorized bicycles in one form or
another.  We are looking for examples of how to deal with those interested
in motorizing bicycles.  I will say that after a couple of experiences with
community members bringing their 'moto-bikes' in to the shop we have now
taken the position that we do not provide assistance on those projects and
don't want such bikes in our shop.  They are contrary to our mission of
non-petroleum based transportation.  How do other longer established shops
handle this?  We frequently get people in to buy rear wheels or frames they
can use for moto-bikes.  Or they want to purchase one of the bikes our
volunteers have spent hours restoring and convert it to a moto-bike.  We
are considering saying no to any support for moto-bikes but we also
recognize that community members use them as an alternative to
cars/motorcycles for important transportation needs - like commuting to
work.

Thank you and solidarity!

Front Street Community Bike Works
Coos Bay, OR