[TheThinkTank] Remote Learning in the Age of Coronavirus

Ainsley Naylor needleandthread at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:47:02 PDT 2020

I spent April putting together an *online bicycle education class* for
Charlie's Freewheels in Toronto.
It does not teach "mechanics" as I don't believe we can teach repair to
people who a) likely know nothing or very little about bicycles b) do not
have access to tools c) do not have access to parts.

The program is made up of 3 classes, each of which covers 3 topics:
1) Bicycle anatomy, types of bikes and fit, safe tool use
2) Mechanical systems - bearings, brakes, drivetrain
3) Safety - Safety Checks, road safety (Ontario), Safety equipment
(including helmet fit/adjustment)
All of the material is presented as introductory information.

The program is available through our website and includes a quiz for each
class hosted on the Google Classroom platform.
We ask youth to register, then I send them the information on the class and
the login to access the website pages.
*For those who indicate they do not have a bike* I will be tuning up
donated bikes in our workspace and matching them to the students, then
arranging for a no-contact pick up.

*We launched the class yesterday, already have 22 students signed up, with
12 indicating need for a bicycle.* One person finished the classes in one
evening so I have to find a bike to build for them tomorrow, haha!

If this goes well, I will be working on more involved classes that use the
same framework and platform for teaching. Again, focussing on teaching
people about bikes and how they work, not necessarily trying to teach them *how
to fix their own bike*.

If anyone would like to view the material send me a message and I will send
you the website/login.

Thanks,
Ainsley (Bike Pirates/Charlie's Freewheels, Toronto)