[TheThinkTank] current bike supply

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Mon May 25 13:23:52 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I've heard everywhere that bikes are in extremely short supply,
especially because of an extremely high demand currently, and that this
dynamic is even more pronounced due to tariffs imposed on China.

Now obviously, this might spur domestic production of bicycles, which
maybe could be awesome. But in the meantime, it isn't awesome - people
can't get bikes.

Those of us out there - maybe most of us - who deal primarily in used
bikes, in the meantime *are* (or can be) that domestic production.

I'm bringing this up in case anyone hasn't though of it all or really
processed it yet, because I imagine everyone's local or even state
governments are currently accepting proposals for various grants.

At this time, collectively, we literally, physically are positioned to
be major gatekeepers to possibly tens of thousands of people becoming
cyclists or resuming cycling who otherwise wouldn't, when major
retailers and various LBS have no ability to meet demand.

This is also a huge opportunity to turn the general public on to the
goodness and soundness of reused bikes. A lot of people think if it's
old or used, it's diminished in some way. All of us know that isn't
true, and now we have a greater ability than ever to prove the truth of
this message.

Here at Recycle Ithaca's Bicycles we've been running nonstop, though
with a skeleton crew, since the virus hit, and reusing old bikes for
ecological reasons has been one of our primary purposes for several
decades. I'm sure most of you don't need it, but if anyone needs or
wants pointers or advice, I'd be happy to help. Getting funding to pay
mechanics or hire additional mechanics is probably the starting point.

Survive, cyclistas!!! <3

~cyclista Nicholas