[TheThinkTank] current bike supply

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Mon May 25 15:53:19 PDT 2020

Ok! If it was only one person, I'd reply to them. But I'm busy enough
right now that I'll just make this a thread for the list.

A lot of what I have to contribute is about physical and fiscal
workflows - those are my specialities wrt community bike shops. I'm not
as experienced with tax classifications or government requirements, but
I can share what I know.

Here in Ithaca, we have something called the HSCTCL - the Human Services
Listserv of Tompkins County. It's sort of one-stop shopping for all
things human services related. It functions in a similar way to this
listserv, in that job openings at local nonprofits and public services
are posted there, as well as other notifications such as community
events or changes in statuses. As you might imagine, it's a central
place where our city is coordinating efforts and information surrounding
COVID-19 response.

So my first suggestion is to find out if your local area has such a
listserv, and get on it, but also to check to see if that listserv has
its archives online anywhere, so that you can see if there were grants
posted recently but previous to your joining.

My second suggestion, if that can't work for you, is to contact your
local municipality directly - city hall, town hall, even chamber of
commerce or office of the city council. It may take awhile to get
through because everyone everywhere is swamped, but you shoul dbe able
to catch a thread somewhere.

Josh, your situation is somewhat different because of physically where
you're situated. I imagine  the resources (and red tape) in the NYC area
are vast. You'll have a bit more of a maze to get through, but also
possibly more diversity of resources to draw  from. I imagine every
entity from religious groups to neighborhood groups, to high-profile
entities like the Salvation Army or the United Way, to places such as
Elks Lodges or the like, has funds they are distributing. In NYC, maybe
they are all tapped out? The people I know in NYC arent in the nonprofit
sector so I don't have better info than speculation. If there was a
central public services listserv in the NYC area, I'd be shocked.
There's simply too much information. But I imagine you can also make
calls to public human-services related offices and wind your way down
the maze. You might also try joining forces with Time's Up! I've never
worked with them, but I've heard they have a significant amount of
workspace.

Things to consider as well, while strategizing:

- many people are making more money now on unemployment than they were
previously. I don't know yet how much work is allowed before losing
unemployment benefits, if any; this may make some mechanics reluctant to
take the work, or may mean your project is confined to volunteer work
only (can still be a huge finacial boost to your org)

- unlike a lot of what we do, which requires a mixture of educational
experience and social outreach, what is required for this particular
purpose is simply mechanical skill, so there may be more workers
qualified for this task than woul dotherwise be considered (a lot of
mechanics aren't really people-persons)

The main thing is to get people in to help you repair bikes you have on
hand for sale. Whether it's as volunteers, or with the incentive of
income, the one missing element here is personnel.

I've also found that when we're open, I spend literally the entire time
of open hours interacting with customers. Any bike work has to be done
before or after (or just aside from) open hours. The old status of
working on bikes at the same time we're open is completely out the
window.

~cyclista Nicholas