[TheThinkTank] Paying People who Refurbish Bikes

Tegan Moss [B!KE] director at communitybikeshop.org
Thu Nov 26 15:39:37 PST 2020

Hi Folks,

B!KE does not currently pay anyone to fix bikes. We do not have any staff
members who do repairs for clients or refurbish bicycles to sell. Our
hundreds of refurb that get completed each year are currently done by
volunteers.

We have occasionally talked about how to compensate volunteers who are
particularly prolific bike builders. What do other shops do? Do you pay
people to refurbish bikes? Is it per bike or per hour? Are all bikes worth
the same amount? Are all bike builders compensated equally?

If you have a system that is working well for your shop I would be very
interested in talking to you about what you do. Please send me an email if
this is something you'd be open to talking about.

Thanks,
Tegan

--
Executive Director
B!KE: The Peterborough Community Bike Shop