[TheThinkTank] Paying People who Refurbish Bikes

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Fri Nov 27 03:32:18 PST 2020

Tegan,

We had an offer open to mechanics we deemed to be working at or near
professional levels, wherein they could be paid as contractors at a
living wage to fix up bikes for sale.

It was thought of as a win/win because people who would otherwise have
been repairing bikes for free would be getting paid, and the shop would
get a lot more out of it financially than it was putting in, since what
defined a bike set aside for fixing up to sell was that it had to meet
the criteria of being repairable in an hour or two. We also considered
offering a set price per bike instead.

In any case, no mechanic ever took us up on it, not sure why. You might
talk about this with your community and find that it seems more likely
to work in your situation.

cyclista Nicholas