[TheThinkTank] Paying People who Refurbish Bikes

Thomas Butler thomas.unavailable at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:30:20 PST 2020

In 2013 we at Austin's Yellow Bike Project started a staff program, mostly
because our big new-at-the-time shop seemed underutilized. It seemed fine
until the last few years. The staff feels there is a lack in accountability
from the board, which is a loosely organized group of volunteers. So when
the staff has problems, they seem not to get solved and people quit. We're
down to 2 employees (one of whom is part time) from a peak of 7 a year ago.
Almost all staff were board members before their hire date, so the
arrangement has had the added detriment of gutting the board of (often its
most) capable members.

To answer your questions:
We pay them hourly, and all the same hourly (which was their choice). But
that may be about to change as there's talk of re-organizing from a
collective to a manager-and-staff. They set the bike prices.

Thomas Butler
he | they
Austin's Yellow Bike Project
austinyellowbike.org