[TheThinkTank] Paying People who Refurbish Bikes

Kevin Dwyer kevidwyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 20:32:20 PST 2020

Hi Tegan, All-

The Salt Lake Bicycle Collective has, for years, employed mechanic staff
(in addition to program staff, some of which is contracted, others
employees). Last  I checked, the pay scale is pretty flat with most
mechanics earning about $15/hr. With a vibrant bike community in Utah and 4
locations, the Bicycle Collective has acted as a training grounds for
future commercial bike shop employment, with several former employees in
key/leading roles at local for-profit bike retailers, where wages are in
the $18-24/hr for skilled mechanics. Donna McAleer is the executive
director and somewhat new to the job, I don't think she's on this list.

In my experience, many community bike shops in larger, bike popular towns
operate with paid staff: Portland-Community Cycling Center, City Bikes,
North Portland Bike Works; Boulder-Community Cycles; Seattle- Bike Works;
San Francisco- Freewheel; Boise-Boise Bicycle Project. I'm not sure if any
of those orgs are on the list, but you may be able to contact them for
insights. Bikes are getting increasingly complex and diverse so it's nice
to see that someone could make a decent wage while promoting this great
activity.

Kevin