[TheThinkTank] Shop Operations During Covid

Cyclista Nicholas cyclista at inventati.org
Mon Oct 19 23:55:02 PDT 2020

At RIBs we're actually closed right now due to (mostly) non-covid-19
reasons, but I just wanted to compliment you on your array of solutions.

I feel like this episode has thrown everyone off, all of these kinds of
alternative procedures seeming unnaturally elaborate and intrusive, but
that in reality all our projects were made up of artificial and complex
processes anyway. So, we just design more processes. The pre-covid ones
just felt more natural because we liked them better or were used to
them.

Bike Farm's covid processes look pretty well rounded, especially when
looking over your documents. I really like that you've broken down the
critical elements for support (parts and tools to the public,
refurbishing bikes, revenue creation, space care and development) and
developed models for each. I also like your email thread solution for
checking on unscheduled occupancy numbers, especially that you included
a provision for keeping it (more) private. We've set up a similar
email-thread-based checkin system for our volunteer nights.

Re: unscheduled occupancy thread, I assume yours first-come-first-serve?

Over here, before we closed (hopefully temporarily) we limited people in
the space to the quantity that could be present with a 6ft distance,
made all people interacting physically with the space wash or disinfect
hands before touching things, and required masks at all times even when
waiting out front for a slot. We're also considering getting one of
those wall mounted thermometers and doing temperature checks for
everyone seeking to enter the building, though that isn't required by
our state or local authorities at this time. And we also kept the front
door open but placed a sign (sandwich board) in front to block entry.
Our sign also features a cool rotating dial that shows how many slots
are available at any given time, though it's very simple and requires
staff or volunteers to have the presence of mind to update it with each
person leaving or entering.

We're all smart people! I know it's stressful and tragic going through
all of this, but we can still figure out how to build functional
systems. Good job Bike Farm!

~cyclista Nicholas