[TheThinkTank] Shop Operations During Covid

Bob Giordano mist at strans.org
Tue Oct 20 16:28:11 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Here is a Free Cycles Missoula 'Covid' update:

We've had no one except staff (3) in our shop
since March 13th.

A lot of 'curb side' service tho, with free bikes,
sale bikes, parts, and tool loaning, all ordered
on our website (http://www.freecycles.org/), or by
phone, or a note put in our drop box.

It's often 'contact free' as we lock a sale bike
or free bike outside, and give people the code.

Sale bikes (about 200 since March) can be fully
refunded up to 2 weeks.... only a small handful
have been returned, due to lack of correct fit.

Free bikes have been great.. normally there is a
class and 4 hours of service for this earn a bike
program. The class and service have been waived
during Covid.  We've had to exchange and/or do
some follow up maintenance on some of those, not
much tho. Biggest change is we build the bike
instead of the recipient.

We follow up with people the best we can, to make
sure needs are being met.

We had a volunteer install a library style 'drop
box' that has been awesome- for small part donations,
tool return, and cash donations.

We affixed colored locks to a rack out front, which
makes it easy for anyone to donate a bike and lock it
(we have the universal key hanging inside).

We added a gate to a side yard, with a combo: we have
2-5 volunteers per week, and we give them that combo
so we do not have to let them in and out- they can do
that themselves. We change the combo once a week. We
meet them initially, and get them started on some kind
of outside task.

We have vols only work outside, and agree to covid protocols.

We've used this 'down time' to renovate, organize, clean
and deeply think about programs and projects...while also
making sale bikes, free bikes and filling parts orders.

One project was renovating a 1,000 sq ft 'shed' into an
outdoor bicycle classroom/ work space, so we'll be ready
for 2021 bike boom to continue and hopefuly gather once
again.

BTW, Montana cases are rising, and we've been super
cautious this whole time, in it for the 'long game'.

We say 'no walk ups'.  Yet that has been the hardest
thing to 'enforce'.  So we are flexible and lenient
and help people as we can, sometimes taking in a
repair or giving advice, thru a chainlink fence often.
Not too friendly of a system, yet neither is Covid.

Been thinking how all us community bike shops are
a 'radical movement of inclusiveness' and how Covid
changes that completely upside down, more or less.

We are shifting the focus of free bikes, prioritizing
essential workers, low income and BIPOC.  Which still
includes a lot of people and thus requests. We got
a month behind at the end of summer, now about caught up
(about 200 of these free bikes out the door since March
too).

The free bikes are lesser quality than the sale bikes,
yet sturdy none the less.

The parts requests are fun, cuz our parts room is fairly
organzied and we are well stocked. We put those- serveral
a day- on a table outside for pickup.

Hope this helps others, and looking forward to continued
collabaration thru this list!

-Bob Giordano, Free Cycles Missoula

Quoting wormsign at gmail.com: