[TheThinkTank] Anyone have a Lone Working Policy? Looking for a template to build ours from!

Gordon Hamachi gordon.hamachi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:02:16 PDT 2022

Doireann:

Thank you for bringing up this topic.  I had never heard of a Lone Working
Policy.  Evidently, employers are obligated to see to the safety of
lone workers in the event of mishap such as a slip and fall, or an attack
by hostile customers.  After conducting a few web searches, I gather that
these policies are more widely used in the UK and Canada than in the US,
where our Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has no Lone
Working policy requirement.

If it helps at all, a web search turned up this template for Lone Working
Policy from the UK.  This one doesn't seem very helpful, but still better
than nothing.  I expect that a determined searcher will find that many
other examples are available online.

https://positivelyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Sample-Lone-Worker-Policy.pdf

In addition, I found some commercial web sites that furnish sample Lone
Working Policy templates by email, in exchange for your contact
information.  Undoubtedly a sales person will be contacting me shortly. :-)

Although my non-profit shop does not have an official Lone Working Policy,
this may be due to only having two paid employees working with many
volunteers.  Unofficially, the shop policy seems to be, "Don't work alone."

In the past, when my shop has needed advice for issues like this, we have
been able to turn to another local non-profit organization that provides
free legal support and sample language.  I hope that you too have such a
resource that can provide assistance tailored to your particular country's
requirements.

When you complete your own Lone Working Policy, please post a copy so the
rest of us can see it.