[TheThinkTank] Earn-a-Bike Programs

cyclista at inventati.org cyclista at inventati.org
Tue Jan 11 15:22:48 PST 2022

Hi Nicole,

At RIBs, for many years, we had similar requirements to those you
describe for your shop. At one point we also had a different, simpler
system, wherein the applicant was required to fix up one bike for
someone else in order to be allowed to fix up one bike for themselves.

What we found  was exactly what you have found, which was that the
highest need groups found both of these bars too high to reach. In many
cases, the policy was also seen as unfriendly: some people needing the
resource were in an especially high state of life stress, as well as
being subject to social ostracism generally, and being told they must
not only navigate this difficult learning curve, but do work that didn't
further their own immediate (read: urgent) needs was, frankly,
inconsiderate. Even though we at the shop were good people only trying
to help, we just didn't understand.

So the lesson was that higher order concepts like community development
and mutual aid aren't really great to evangelize to people undergoing
crisis. In kind, that we in the shop had bad calibration wrt what
represented crisis. We might have thought of it as extreme things such
as "are you being evicted" or "have you lost housing because your
partner threatened your life and your only other housing options are
with substance abusing people you had been trying to separate yourself
from because you are trying to stay clean to regain legal custody of
your children", but in reality significant states of crisis can be much
more insidious and mundane. Someone can be in a state of significant,
ongoing crisis simply because they are disrespected at their job and
their childcare involves significant emotional burden, and they feel
unloved in their partner relationship. Crisis can be difficult to
recognize for someone not familiar with it, especially where it stems
from conditions such as generational poverty and trauma. And crisis
isn't necessarily a transitory state. It can last for most or all of a
person's life, especiallly where generational effects are involved.

So what we did was entirely remove our requirements for volunteering in
return for use of the space, and replaced them with only a
pay-what-you-want requirement for parts and a polite reminder that we
accept donations.

What we saw was a dramatic reduction in ghosting. Nearly all
participants of every demographic returned to complete their projects. A
rough guess would be that around 2% abandoned projects they started,
most of those being students with busy academic/social schedules or
hobbyists who lost interest in a frivolous idea. Over the four years we
had these relaxed policies, nearly all in-need participants completed
their bikes (or repairs) and left with safe and satisfying wheels under
them.

This higher rate of effectiveness did come at a cost, however. When we
had volunteer requirements, it did force a lot more people to stay and
be part of the environment for longer periods of time, contributing to
shop culture and character. Requirements also forced kids to learn: most
of the street-level kids in our community don't stay and learn unless
they are made to. In these cases the reward-incentive-for-work concept
seems to be something that must be imposed, rather than guided or
facilitated, in order to take root. So though we retained significant
child attendance in the case of those visiting with various guardians,
we also lost a lot (actually most) of our solo child participation by
removing requirements.

In general, I'd say our volunteer community was reduced by about half by
these measures, with only people who volunteered out of passion and joy
remaining. Our shop was small and had never really run on exclusively
volunteer labor except at the beginning (thirty years ago) when it was
even smaller and being run out of random garages, so this wasn't a
lethal change for us. It did create much greater demands/stress on paid
staff and primary volunteers.

I think it's possible to not go entirely one way or another, for
instance to have volunteer requirements for children but not adults
(though it might be painful to justify to kids who noticed the
disparity), or create tiers of service/use some of which would required
volunteering. We just basically treated the shop as a library and the
staff and primary volunteers as librarians, and let the community use
the space so long as they did so without harming it.

An idea for a tier of access that could require volunteer hours might be
keyed off-hours access. This is really only sustainable now with the
advent of [more] affordable electronic locks - in the past people with
keys made copies, kept them essentially forever, and any abuse would
require changing the locks. I'd encourage shop budget to be spent on
this kind of lock, or even the more expensive mechanical versions, even
though it involves significant expense. In retrospect, it was the lack
of this investment that prevented us from exploring options such as the
one suggested above, and eventually we were making enough money that we
could have afforded it. It's so difficult to see every option in every
moment when you're busy af with so many things.

~cyclista Nicholas