[TheThinkTank] looking for current info on orgs that move/donate surplus bikes

Luis Fernandez luis at casildo.com
Thu Mar 24 06:22:20 PDT 2022

Hi Nicholas,

Bikes not bombs collects bikes from a number of different places.
Individuals drop them off at their bike shop, they hold bike drives in
different communities around Boston, they have pickup spots in backyards
across the city where folks can take bikes near them and then those bikes
are periodically picked up, etc.  These bikes are used to support the local
work and international work.  Bikes are stored in a warehouse until a large
enough quantity are available for shipment.  Bikes that are too far gone
are recycled.

The money is a suggested donation, to help with costs involved but it is
not a requirement.  Any large donation of bikes, then, doesn’t come with
any requirement of a cash donation as well.  Cash donations are voluntary
based on affinity to the mission.  Once donated, the bikes would simply be
received and stored in the warehouse until ready for use in local programs
or enough have been collected for shipping to an overseas partner.  A
larger donation would just mean that the warehouse is filled sooner.

Luis