Hi all. Our program director of the past 4+ years, Liz Pisarczyk, is leaving us in February. Liz has done a ton for NBW, and so now we've begun the search process to find someone to step in and build off of the strong state of our youth programming. Here's the job description, and it's also attached as a PDF. Please take a look and share far and wide!
*Position Summary:* Neighborhood Bike Works (NBW) is seeking a full-time Director of Youth Programs to lead our organization’s youth bike-education programming. This position assumes primary responsibility for directing and developing all youth programs, and supervising and supporting the professional development of all youth program staff. Additionally, the Director of Youth Programs works with the Executive Director and other department managers as part of NBW’s leadership team, represents NBW and its programming to funders, community partners, youth, and families; and partners with Board, other staff, and volunteers to develop the organizational resources of NBW.
*About Neighborhood Bike Works:* In 2017, NBW will build on its recent growth and reloication to a new community shop and bike education hub. NBW is celebrating 20 years of using bikes as the hook to engage youth in positive out-of-school-time activities. By learning bike mechanics and exploring the city by bike, young people at NBW build life skills and healthy habits, and gain leadership experience. Based in West Philadelphia, we primarily serve youth of color from low-income communities. In addition to our youth programs, NBW provides a DIY bicycle workshop space for adults as well as community outreach programs to promote cycling.
More information regarding NBW can be found at neighborhoodbikeworks.org.
*Reports to:* Executive Director
*Reporting to this Position:* Ride Program Manager, Youth Engagement Specialist, Lead Youth Program Instructor, and shared supervision of the Outreach Coordinator
*Program Development and Evaluation* (40%)
· Plan and direct current and new programming in collaboration with Executive Director, program staff, and other stakeholders.
· Work with youth program team to coordinate all NBW programming, manage program calendar, and communicate with program partner organizations.
· Collaborate with youth program staff to develop curriculum for youth programs, set benchmarks for youth involvement in NBW programs, and develop channels for youth to grow and assume leadership roles within and outside of NBW.
· Develop and maintain systems for tracking data on students and programs, including registrations, participant involvement in all youth programs, and graduation information.
· Develop and maintain program evaluation methods in collaboration with program staff and Executive Director. Ensure effectiveness of data collection and analysis.
· Provide organization-wide program reports on a monthly basis and as needed.
· Ensure programming remains culturally responsive for the youth and families we serve.
· Work with program staff and other stakeholders to facilitate the continued development of a long-term vision for NBW’s programming, including all levels of youth programs.
*Staff Management and Support* (40%)
· Recruit, hire, support, and supervise youth program staff.
· Work directly with youth, supporting program staff in the delivery of youth programs.
· Develop, coordinate, and deliver training and orientation for all program staff.
· Support program staff in planned, continuous professional development.
· Foster teamwork, appreciation, and shared leadership within the programs department at NBW.
· Ensure that all instructors, volunteers, and program participants comply with NBW policies and procedures, including all safety and risk management policies and procedures.
· Conduct annual performance reviews and 360-degree reviews for all direct reports.
*Financial Management, Development, and Communications* (15%)
· Work in partnership with the Executive Director and Development Manager to support fundraising related to programs, including events and donor communications.
· Write program updates and reports for use in grants, reports, and promotional materials.
· Create and manage program budgets.
· Work alongside other staff to solicit feedback and stories from participants, parents, and others. Share feedback with all staff and work with others to promote programs externally.
*Administrative and Strategic Oversight* (5%)
· Work with Executive Director to create and update risk management policies and guidelines as needed.
· Participate in NBW’s strategic planning process and assist in developing short and long-term program plans for core and advanced programs.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of management experience in a non-profit setting or related field, a proven track record successfully supervising and supporting staff and volunteers, and experience working with diverse populations including youth of color and those from low-income families. Background knowledge of Philadelphia’s education system, history, bicycling community, and networks of youth development organizations is preferred. Candidates with non-traditional work and education experience are encouraged – please tell us about those experiences that qualify you for this position.
· Driven by the mission and work of NBW.
or related field preferred; however, equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of education.
development of staff.
weekends as needed.
· Experience with Microsoft Office and Access.
· Successful passing of PA State Police Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Clearance required.
This is a full-time, hourly position that will begin in January 2017. The position will be non-exempt in compliance with new December 2016 FLSA overtime regulations. The pay range for this position will be $18.25 to $20.20 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. NBW offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and retirement plans.
*Please email a resume and cover letter* to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by November 28, 2016 will receive priority consideration. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seek staff who reflect the community we serve. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
-- Steve Maluk Executive Director Neighborhood Bike Works <215-386-0316%20x%20113>215-386-0316 x118 www.neighborhoodbikeworks.org
[image: NBW's Bike Drive and Birthday Party] Celebrating 20 years of positive youth development.