Neighborhood Bike Works (in Philadelphia) is hiring for a Lead Mechanic position in our earned-revenue Community Bike Shop. Please help us spread the word. The job description is below, and also attached as a pdf...
*Bike Shop Lead Mechanic – Neighborhood Bike Works*
*Neighborhood Bike Works (NBW) *inspires youth and strengthens Philadelphia communities by providing equitable access to bicycling and bike repair through education, recreation, leadership, and career building opportunities. NBW offers after-school and summer programming to youth, runs adult bike repair programming, and operates a community bike shop as a source of earned revenue for our non-profit organization.
*Position Summary: *Neighborhood Bike Works is seeking a part-time *Bike Shop Lead Mechanic* in our Community Bike Shop. This position is responsible for repairing and refurbishing used bicycles for sale in our earned-revenue bike shop, and assists members of the public in finding bikes, bike parts, and accessories sold in our shop. Additionally, this position will greet members of our community from various stakeholder groups, including youth, parents, volunteers, donors, and adult program participants. The Lead Mechanic works alongside volunteers to assist the public during NBW’s Bike Church hours. This position is expected to model NBW’s values of access, equity, and in creating and maintaining a safe space at NBW.
*Reports to: *Shop Manager
*Start Date & Work Schedule: * The preferred start date for this position is November 6, 2017. This part-time position will work 30 hours-per-week during our shop’s peak season (April 1 to September 30) and 20 hours-per-week during the off-season (October 1 to March 31). The position will include some evening and weekend work, and is based at our Community Bike Shop and headquarters at 3939 Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia.
· Repair and refurbish bicycles to a saleable quality, assess value of bicycles, and sell bicycles during our Community Shop time.
· Deliver helpful customer service to a diverse base of customers and volunteers during Bike Church and the Community Bike Shop.
· Assist patrons with bike repairs during Bike Church hours, ensuring the focus remains on learning and empowerment for Bike Church patrons.
· Support daily shop operations including daily setup and closing of workshop areas and sales floor, organizing product for sale, answering phone, cleaning, and light facilities projects.
· Support Donations Coordinator in keeping inventory organized and sorting bike donations.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of experience as a bike mechanic, a year or more of work experience in a bike shop or another customer-focused retail environment, will exhibit excellent communication and customer service skills, and be skilled in the use of a wide range of bicycle tools and the repair of bicycles built from the 1970’s and later. Candidates with non-traditional work and education experience are encouraged – please tell us about those experiences that qualify you for this position.
· Driven by the mission and work of NBW.
· Commitment to social justice and youth leadership.
· Willingness to work as a team player with other staff, volunteers, and youth.
· Reliable, self-motivated, and with a keen attention to detail.
· Sense of humor, patience, and flexibility. NBW is a collaborative and fast-paced work environment.
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
· License to drive a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania, preferred.
· Successful passing of PA State Police Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Clearance required.
This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position. The starting pay range for this position will be $12.50 to $14.75 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. NBW offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and retirement plans. Additionally, NBW offers the equivalent of two weeks of paid vacation (50 hours) for the employee in the first year of this position, as well as personal paid time off, and an employee purchase benefit on bicycles, parts, and accessories.
*To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter* to email@example.com, with “Lead Mechanic Position” as the subject heading of your email. Applications received by October 11, 2017 will receive priority consideration. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seek staff who reflect the community we serve. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
Steve Maluk He/Him/His Executive Director *Neighborhood Bike Works http://neighborhoodbikeworks.org* <215-386-0316%20x%20113>215-386-0316 x118
*Join NBW at** Youth Bike Summit* *2017* *----------------------------------------------* October 6-8, 2017 Arlington, VA + Washington, DC [image: ybs-2017-postcard-orange-reduced] http://youthbikesummit.org